- Batteries - Andrew has learned that the reason why some of his toys don't always work is because they need new batteries. So now, when anything is broken, his solution is always the same - batteries. The internet's broken? It needs batteries. I can't figure out how to turn the TV to the right setting? Maybe batteries will help. Our air conditioner broke last weekend, and Andrew was quick to suggest that it needed new batteries. Haha, if only! That certainly would have been cheaper than getting the air conditioner repair man to come out on a Sunday!
- I was being careful! - We're very lucky that Andrew is usually fairly cautious. He's an active little boy, but he's never been a super reckless or fearless child. (Thank the Lord!) But, like most three-year-olds, he does end up doing things that are dangerous, and he often has no clue about the true danger of things. He thinks that "being careful" is good enough. Me: "Andrew, were you standing on the chair?" Andrew: "I was being careful!" Me: "Ugh!"
- Andrew has entered the 'why' phase, and will often ask why when we tell him that he can or cannot do something. Last week we had chicken (pot) pie for dinner and Andrew often likes to eat the leftovers for breakfast (and any other meal until it's gone). The problem is that he usually only likes to eat the crust. So he'll eat the crust and ask for more, leaving the filling of chicken and vegetables (i.e. the only remotely healthy part of the pie). So we've started saving anything he doesn't eat and making him eat that before he gets more. The following conversation occurred one morning when I presented him his plate of chicken pie filling...
Me: Here's your chicken pie. You have to eat this part before you can have more crust.
Andrew: But that's not my favorite!! I want crumbly crust!!
Me: I'm sorry, you have to eat this first. That's the rule.
Andrew: That's not a rule, that's an option!
Me: ?!? (and laughing)
I had no clue that he knew the word option or could use it correctly in a sentence. It made me laugh and took me off guard. (And for those that are wondering, he did eat the pie filling and got some crumbly crust.)
- This week we took Tucker to the vet and we let Andrew come with us. He was very excited to go to the doggy doctor and became very curious about Tucker. Tuck was laying on the floor and Andrew pointed to his nipples and asked, "what's that?" We told him that they were his nipples. Andrew asked if they hurt him, and we said no, they're just nipples, just like you have. We pulled up his shirt and pointed out his nipples. He replies, "No, I don't have nickels!"
- Andrew has become curious about differences and about his and others' bodies. A couple weeks ago he was in the bathroom with me (A fun tidbit about being at home with kids - no private bathroom breaks!). He asked me, "Mommy, where's your penis?" I replied that I didn't have a penis because I am a girl and girls don't have penises. He then orders me, "Mommy, stand up, what's under there?" I quickly made up an excuse to get him to leave the bathroom (Andrew, I think I hear someone at the door - go check!) to avoid any awkward or difficult questions. However, I'm sure it is only a temporary solution - Mr. Curious will have more questions in the future! I just hope that he doesn't go to school and start asking people - Where's your penis?
No comments:
Post a Comment