Tuesday, August 13, 2013

He's a-rollin'!

Poor, sweet Ben Ben hasn't gotten much representation on the blog lately! But don't worry, he is up to a lot, and will be getting a four-month post in a week and a half. He's really blossomed lately. I love this stage, and I know that it only gets more fun from here on out. As I said in the three month post, he's rolled from belly to back a few times. He's still not consistent with it. While this would usually worry me (I know, I'm crazy!), I think he's just pretty happy on his belly and not really interested in rolling over. If he gets unhappy, he usually just lays his head down to rest. Here's a little video of his rolling skills:



One night this week, Jonathan happened to look at the monitor and noticed that Ben was on his side. Since he was swaddled, I was slightly concerned and we decided to see what he could do the next day. I think because of Andrew's head issues, we are so programmed not to lay Ben on his back that I didn't really have any idea of his mobility. When we put him down the next day, he almost rolled back to belly! I was floored! I was expecting at least another month or two until that milestone came. He can't roll all the way, his arm gets in the way and I don't think he has the head strength to lift it up and get it over. But he gets his whole lower body over. And since his arms wouldn't be in the way while swaddled, he could probably flip over completely. Because of that, we decided to take away the swaddle, cold turkey. I was pretty nervous. We didn't unswaddle Andrew until close to five months, I think. Ben has always been a great sleeper, and I think he always slept better with a super tight swaddle. But we went for it, and in true Benjamin fashion, he seems to have done so well with it! I wouldn't even really say his sleep has changed at all. I do put him more on his side, but he scoots and slides all around the crib at night, and seems perfectly content to suck on his fists. I think he likes sleeping on his side, and the only downside is that he leaks out of his diaper because of it. But if that's our biggest problem, I'm ok with that. I'll take more laundry over less sleep any day!!
Here's another video of his almost-rolling. Other things to note: his cute "Boys are awesome" onesie (I happen to agree), the stuffing of his fists into his mouth, and his cute talking. He's become very chatty lately, and I love his baby babbling!



No comments:

Post a Comment