Saturday, August 17, 2013

First Day of School

Well, the day is finally here... The day I've been alternately dreading and counting down to for 4 months. I had to go back to work, and the boys were starting school! I have a whole post written on my mixed feelings about returning to work. On one hand, I was pretty sad about not being with my boys. But, I love where they are at - I feel like they get amazing care, are loved, and I loved seeing so much growth in Andrew from the beginning to the end of the school year. After having gone last year, Andrew was really excited to return to Eagle Wings, so we did some things to prepare for the beginning of the year. (Apparently I was on some Pinterest high this summer!)

We counted down the days from this...
...to this:
Andrew loved this! Every night we tore off a ring and counted down the days. We only started with 12, which was the perfect amount for him - enough to get excited about, but not too many that he lost interest. 

We made presents for his and Ben's teachers. I have to admit that this was done with somewhat selfish intentions. I discovered this recipe on Pinterest (where else?) and I've fallen in love with them! I've made them, no joke, about 4 times in the past month (and twice I doubled the recipe). I needed a reason to make some yummy cookies, eat a few, and give the rest away. And so came the teacher gifts! I know that, as a teacher, I always appreciate little back to school gifts. I don't expect them and I don't think poorly of anyone who doesn't give them, but they are always a happy little treat when received. 


Thanks to my mom for helping make (what seemed like) 400 dozen cookies, and thanks to Pinterest for helping me find the idea. I changed the wording slightly, but overall I think they turned out pretty cute!

And then when the day was finally here, we took the obligatory first day pics, complete with my handy personalized chalkboard canvases. Chalkboard artist I am not, but I still think they turned out pretty cute!
When I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, he said "like Daddy". Awww!!

He's big into saying "cheese" for pictures... so that's why the cheesy smile!

Who is this grown up kid, and where did my itty bitty boy go??

Ben had two new milestones - school and the Bumbo chair!

Also, I know that it seems crazy that Andrew's said preschool while Ben's says school. I just couldn't think of what to call it - I know it's daycare, but I didn't love how that sounded on the board. And since it's my photo-op, I decided that it would be Ben's first day of school!

Apparently my sweet, blond(!!) boy isn't quite ready for the Bumbo yet!



1 comment:

  1. Ok I'm stealing all of your ideas....countdown to school rings, making cookies and for sure the first day of school sign. Bittersweet, can't wait for weekends of fun!

    ReplyDelete