Sunday, August 4, 2013

Cooking with Andrew: Chicken Pie

If you know Andrew (or if you've read the blog), you know that his favorite food is chicken pot pie (or chicken pie, as he calls it). He goes to the grocery store with me, and he wants me to buy the makings of chicken pie every week. Every. Single. Week. I try to appease him as much as I can, but I can only eat chicken pie so many times. But he's very convincing, and needless to say, we've eaten chicken pie a lot this summer. One of the reasons that he loves chicken pie is because he gets to "help" make it. I wanted to record a blog post showing his help and to share the recipe (umm... if you could call it that) with anyone who might be interested in making chicken pie for their loved ones.

A disclaimer: if you are looking for a gourmet chicken pot pie with homemade pastry and hand-chopped vegetables, this is not it. If you're looking for an easy weeknight dinner, here it is! And I have to say, even though it's not fancy, it's good comfort food. I've made it many times (even before this summer!) and it's always a crowd pleaser.

Ingredients:
About 2-3 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken because it's easy)
2 cans of Cream of Potato soup
1 can of Veg-All (I use the low sodium version)
1 package of Pie Crusts (I prefer the Pillsbury to the store brand - it's flakier!)

Pour chicken, soup, and vegetables into a large bowl.

Sample some chicken, just to make sure it's good!

Stir it all together. I like to add a little black pepper also. You don't need any salt, because the chicken and soups are salty enough.

Place one pie crust into the pie plate. Pour the filling into the crust.

Top with the second crust and pinch the edges. (Pretty sure this crust had some finger holes in it!)

Bake at 350  degrees for about 50-60 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment