Saturday, October 19, 2013

Benjamin - Half a year!!

Dear Benny Boo,

Time must be playing tricks on me, Benny. It is so hard to believe that you are six months old! Gone completely is my sleepy newborn. You are a smiling, babbling, giggling boy! I love the age you are at right now - sweet and adorable. One of your new things is that you get really excited when I walk in your room to pick you up from daycare. Once you are in my arms, you reach out and grab my face, or press your face into mine. I like to think of it as your little hug and kiss for me! It warms my heart, and makes me just want to cuddle you forever. Here are some of the other things you've been up to this month:

Likes: People - you love when people talk and interact with you. When people are talking to you, you smile so big that you can almost see it from the back! You especially love Andrew - you love to watch him, and you laugh a lot when he does silly things. I know you'll be his biggest fan for the next few years! You have also recently become really interested in Tucker. Sometimes you'll look at him and laugh, and if he's on the floor near you I can tell you try to move yourself over his way. Poor Tucker! You probably would love to chew on him if he ever let you. Speaking of chewing, you love anything that you can put in your mouth (which is basically anything). You love to chomp on fingers and hands, especially ours! You still love Sophie the giraffe, and you've become fond of some other teething toys. You're still a mover and a jumper! One of your favorite places to be is in the jumperoo that we borrowed from Uncle Nick and Aunt Jessy - you happily jump for quite awhile in there. You love your play mat also, and are very adept at grabbing the toys and trying to get them in your mouth. You are not crawling, but you roll and scoot all over the play mat (and the floor).

Dislikes: It's funny... as I'm writing this you are happily snoozing away in your carseat in the dining room. You fell asleep on an earlier errand, and stayed asleep when we brought you in (I'm sure other parents can relate - that's a major WIN!), so we left you. But usually, that carseat is at the very top of your dislike list! You do the majority of your crying (screaming) in that seat on the way home from school, or if we have the audacity to try to run errands or get dinner in the evening. You don't even like to be put in there - you'll stiffen your body and make it really difficult for mommy and daddy to get you ready to go! Other than that, I can't really think of anything else that you dislike. You are a pretty happy, easygoing little dude.

Eating: After your first cereal,  we all caught some bug and we hung back from eating for a bit. We've tried to get back in the habit of giving you cereal for "dinner", and you LOVE it! You reach for the spoon and shout until we get it into your mouth. You are getting better at swallowing more of it, and you seem to love to eat. We purchased baby oatmeal and some green beans to start you on some other foods. As a second-time mom, I know I should be dreading solid foods - they are messy and time consuming, and so much more of a pain than just nursing or bottle feeding. But you seem so excited about eating that it is difficult not to be excited with you! I'm hoping you'll be my little guy that eats everything, because your big brother is getting pickier by the day! You are still nursing and drinking bottles well, although you seem to be a snacker -you never take more than 3 ounces at daycare (sometimes only 1 or 2), and will drink every 1-2 hours. I'd love for you to consolidate your eating into bigger meals spaced out more, but I know that will come with time. It is getting very difficult to nurse you at any time other than middle of the night - you are SO distracted! Especially if the TV is on or Andrew is around - there's no chance that you'll focus for a meal then.

Sleeping: I don't really want to say anything in this category. I bragged so much on you when you were little that I think you decided to back off on the whole good-sleeping thing, so I wouldn't get spoiled! I guess if I could say anything it's that you are inconsistent. Some nights you go from 7:30-3:30, and then are down until we get you up for daycare. Or there are other nights (last night...) where you are up at 11:30, 3:30, 5:30... no fun! In some ways, you are easier in the sleep department than your brother, and in some ways you are very similar. Just like him, you don't seem to want to take long naps (except for right now in the carseat!). I guess the silver lining is that I know sleeping like this doesn't last forever, and when you are big and grown-up I will miss all the sweet cuddles, even if they mean less sleep.

Milestones: Big news, Benny! You have TWO teeth! You have been chomping on anything and everything that you could get into your mouth for awhile now, and are also the drooliest little guy. I thought that it was just normal baby behavior, but a couple weeks ago I noticed some bumps on your bottom gums. Earlier this week your bottom left tooth poked through, and then on Thursday evening I noticed that the bottom right had popped out also! We are so happy that they've popped through and hope that you get some relief from the teething pain soon. Although I have to say, Mommy is a little bit nervous, because those suckers are sharp! You've also made some progress on sitting. You can tripod sit pretty well, and can even sit independently, but only for a few seconds at a time. We tried to put you in a high chair this morning at a restaurant, and other than being tired and kind of fussy, you seemed pretty good at sitting up in the chair! What a big boy!

Sweet Benjamin, the past six months with you have been amazing. I've said it before, but you have added so much love and joy to our family. You are sweet, beautiful, happy, and lovable. Although I don't want you to grow up too fast, I can't wait to see what the next six months will bring. We love you!!

 We had an easy time taking your six month photos - your older brother wasn't around to distract you/pose with you! He's away at Gabby and Pawpaw's house this weekend, so you've had some quality time with Mommy and Daddy! And you're so adorable, it was hard to narrow the pictures down!








No comments:

Post a Comment