Sunday, November 3, 2013

Andrew - Three and a Half

Andrew,

Wow! I feel like I've blinked and you've grown up.  How is it possible that we are now closer to kindergarten than your baby-hood? Ninety-nine point nine percent of the time I love the age you're at! You have definitely developed into a great kid, and I love to see what you're learning and doing.

You're smart! I know that all parents think that their children are geniuses, and we are definitely guilty! You impress us every day with your memory and your curiosity. You are interested in numbers, and can count to 29. After that it becomes 20-10, 20-11, 20-12, etc.! You can probably identify numbers that high as well. We haven't really tested it out, but I know you recognize '21', although you often say it's 12. I have first graders that still do that, so I'm gonna guess that it's developmentally appropriate for a 3 year old! You can easily recognize the amount of a small group of objects without counting each one. Again, I know that some first graders still struggle with this, so it's pretty impressive to me! You still LOVE to read. This is a habit that I can't help but encourage - I love to peruse the Scholastic Book Orders for books you would like! You love fiction books, but have also become really interested in non-fiction. You love learning about animals and trucks or vehicles of any kind. You obviously can't read yet, but you do like to look at letters and ask about the sounds they make. You will sometimes imitate what we do when we spell or sound out a word. One day you looked at Ben's shampoo bottle and you said, "A-V-E-E-N-O spells shampoo!" You have many books memorized, and you do like to "read" those to us.

You love firetrucks! You wanted to be a firefighter for Halloween this year (just like last year), and we happily obliged (here's to getting good use out of that costume!). You love to talk about, watch, and play with firetrucks. We joined a church that has a children's sermon. You love to go up and listen to the lesson, and more than once have offered up firetrucks during the discussion. To you, it doesn't matter the question, firetrucks are always the answer. You have even gotten out of the habit of watching Octonauts in favor of YouTube videos of firetrucks. Your favorite is a promotional video about the airport firetruck, called the Oshkosh Striker. We probably watch that (4 minute) video on repeat at least 10 times each day! I bet you could probably sell someone the Striker based on all the facts you know about it.

You are a picky eater. I know that God is paying Daddy and I back for our many combined years of picky eating. You probably have about 10 things total that you eat on a regular basis. We've gotten to the point where you request Dino nuggets and macaroni and cheese for dinner every night! (Which way to the Mom-of-the-Year awards?!) You also like hamburgers and hot dogs, and will still eat almost all fruit. As far as meals go - there's Chicken Pie (of course), sandwiches, and the above mentioned items. You won't even really eat staples that you used to like - spaghetti, tacos, pizza (you'll sometimes eat this). You are definitely a creature of habit - you like to eat the same thing for lunch EVERY DAY! You tell us daily - rolly peanut butter sandwich, applesauce, goldfish, and milk. We have gotten to branch out and buy your lunch on Wednesdays for... wait for it... chicken nuggets! You still don't love sweets very much, but your favorite are red dumdum lollipops. You call them red apple lollipops, but they are cherry flavored (we don't argue this with you anymore, because it is futile!).

You are clever! We love to listen to the funny things you say. One of the latest is when Daddy was telling you 'no'. You told him "say 'yes' Daddy. You can't say 'no' because it hurts my ears!" You sound more and more like a kid and less like a little kid each day - you talk about your friends at school and the games that they play. I can tell your interests are influenced by your friends. One day you were talking about your sister, and we told you that you didn't have a sister. You got upset and told us that you needed a little sister named Avery because your friend Jackson at school has a little sister named Avery. Haha, sorry son! For Halloween, one of your friends dressed up as a Ninja Turtle. You recognized his costume right away, but haven't had a lot of exposure to Ninja Turtles. You excitedly looked at me and exclaimed, "Mommy, look, Weston is an Engine Turtle!" Haha!

You have pretty much given up napping. Apparently you still nap or rest at school, but you almost never sleep at home anymore. You do still go in your room for rest time (Mommy and Daddy sanity time), but you usually sing, play, read, or destroy your room! You still sleep well at night, although you take awhile to fall asleep. We know you're tired, and I don't think that you could stay up any later, but you lay in your bed and sing/talk for awhile before falling asleep. You also have become insistent about cuddling before bed. You love for me to lay with you and we cuddle together. I love this time with you! We talk about your day, say prayers, or just cuddle together. The only bad part is that you sometimes don't want me to leave. We set a timer and you often latch on and cry when it is time for me to go. Although it breaks my heart to leave, I know you need to go to sleep by yourself!

Andrew - you are a joy and we love you so much. You and your brother are the world to us, and we are reminded daily what a blessing you are. Thank you for making us smile, laugh, get up earlier, see things in new ways, find joy in daily occurrences. I can't wait to see what you show us in the next half-year!

What happens during rest time:

Not resting, obviously.

Enjoying a popsicle and fruit snacks after dinner. Again, Mom-fail on the healthy eating!



Always red! You love red - everything you eat, draw, use... you definitely make it known that red is your favorite color.


Mommy and Andrew in a rare, still moment - I had to squeeze you to keep you from running off to get this picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment