Now that Andrew is talking more and more, there are fewer things he's saying "incorrectly", but we get to hear a lot more creative conversations. One of the best times to talk to him is in the car - he's usually not distracted by toys and will have fairly long conversations. I love hearing him talk and understanding a little bit of what is going on in his head. Here are some interesting conversations that I would like to remember!
Now that it's staying light later, Andrew is very conscious of bedtime and it's relationship to when the sun goes down. Although he usually goes to sleep before it's dark, there have been a few late nights where we've enjoyed the nice weather in the backyard. He always talks about how the sun isn't going to bed yet, because he knows that he goes to bed when the sun does.
Me: It's almost bedtime Andrew. We have ___ more minutes to swing!
Andrew: The sun isn't going to bed yet, it's still up!
Me: It's almost going to bed, I think it's probably getting ready for bed.
Andrew: The sun is eating dinner?
Me: Maybe... what do you think the sun eats for dinner?
Andrew: Probably clouds!
Andrew has also picked up that things that we like to eat sometimes smell good. For example, we'll talk about how dinner smells good in the oven, or that cookies smell good when they're baking. So I now think he equates delicious things with smelling good, without really understanding that you have to actually smell them. For example, we have this conversation almost daily when he wakes up.
Andrew, first thing he says when he gets out of bed: Mommy, I smell something!
Me: What do you smell?
Andrew: Cheerios... and a peanut butter bar!
Me: Oh, really? Do you want Cheerios and a peanut butter bar for breakfast?
Andrew: Yeah, that's a great idea!
Sometimes he'll also say that he smells chicken pie when we're driving... haha! I think he's giving me a hint or he's got the best nose ever.
We've noticed that he's saying more and more things correctly and losing the "baby" pronunciations. While this is great, it's sometimes a little sad to lose these funny ways of saying things. For example, he's been referring to hash browns as "brown browns" for the past year or so. This weekend we were going out to eat breakfast and we asked him if he wanted to get brown browns. He said no, that he wanted to get hash browns. Sad! Where'd my baby go?
And, because he's three, we hear a few phrases quite frequently at our house:
"Put Ben down!" Translation: Pay attention to meeee!
"Don't hold my hand, Mommy!" Translation: Don't reign me in!
"I do it myself." Translation: See above....
"I can't!" Translation: I don't want to! (This one drives me bananas!)
No comments:
Post a Comment