Monday, July 7, 2014

San Antonio Part 3 - The Hyatt, Riverwalk, and the Alamo (kind of)

For the last post of our whirlwind vacation to San Antonio, I thought I'd try to cover our "hotel" and our last day in San Antonio, in which I tried to stuff as much touristy stuff as possible! As I said earlier, the Hyatt was an amazing part of the trip, and probably could have been the vacation in and of itself. We stayed at the Wild Oak Ranch, which is the vacation club associated with this Hyatt location. Basically there are a bunch of condos, which could best be explained as time-shares. We were in a three-bedroom unit, which was actually a connected one- and two-bedroom unit. It worked out perfectly (although my parents my disagree - they took the one-bedroom, which happened to back up to the boys room... Ben woke up crying at about 4 a.m. on the first morning. We couldn't hear it and were blissfully sleeping in our room!). I wish I would have gotten more pictures at the Hyatt, but the trip was so fast and we did so much that I didn't really have a chance! Our room had a giant, jetted tub that we bathed the boys in - I'm pretty sure Ben thought it was a swimming pool. They had a restaurant on-site that we ate at both nights, and a little general store for buying snacks, drinks, or breakfast (which we did both days). The best part was definitely the pool and the grounds. Although hot, it was lovely to walk around the property. They have many trails, as well as areas for kids to play. I saw at least two playgrounds, including a little area called the backyard, which was fenced and had grass. They have an inside/outside pool, two water slides, and a lazy river to float on. After returning from the zoo, Ben seemed ready to drop, so Gabby and Papaw stayed at the room to let him nap while Jonathan and I took Andrew to the lazy river. They have tubes with bottoms, which was perfect for floating with Andrew. We floated around twice (the second time with margaritas - sweet!) and then Andrew decided he wanted to play at the beachy area. They had sand and a beach-entrance into the lazy river. Andrew enjoyed corralling the tubes that floated by and waving to people as they passed. Jonathan and I enjoyed the margaritas and the water!

Hard at work!


Jonathan enjoying the water, and I was enjoying just sitting and relaxing!

We called my parents to have them wake Benny up since it was after 5. We thought he might enjoy a little swimming, too!

I think the water was a little cold for him, and it was overcast and windy, but he seemed to enjoy floating with me!


We decided to go back and get changed for dinner. The Hyatt was hosting a fiesta with dancing and smores, and so Benny and my parents and I went to get ready. Andrew and Jonathan went to the pool and enjoyed a little more swimming!
Jonathan snuck Andrew down the water slide once, and they enjoyed playing in the pool. It was practically empty!

His face when we told him it was time to go!

Poor dude was wiped out! It was a big, fun day for him!

Look at those prune feet!

After this we went to the dance area to check it out. Andrew was in Heaven! He started dancing and playing - his style of dancing was mostly to run around in circles, but he was having a blast!! He definitely got his second wind. We had to tear him away to go to dinner!




Benny looking surprised at dinner!

And adorable!

We went back after dinner to eat some smores, and Andrew again danced his heart out for awhile. Benny even enjoyed eating graham crackers and dancing. We didn't get back to our room until after 9 (maybe 10?) and the boys were exhausted. Andrew was probably asleep before his head hit the pillow!

For our last day in San Antonio, I wanted to go down to the River Walk. Being the boys' first time, I wanted to go all out and be touristy! We parked at the mall and got out onto the river right by the boat tours area. We decided the boys would enjoy it, and Andrew definitely did! Benny got a little antsy, but I think it was a success overall!
Looking fascinated...

And ditto!


Benny and Papaw took all kinds of cute photos this trip!

Waving to people on the Riverwalk!

Putting in his two-cents

Loving on Daddy...

Aw, Daddy kissed me!

After our boat ride, we decided to find a Mexican restaurant to eat on the river. Luckily they are pretty easy to come by. I can't say that I loved the place we ate, but we did luck out and get a spot under a covered porch, because it started pouring right after we sat down. Eating ended up being the perfect way to avoid the rain!

Prior to the trip, I got it in my head that I wanted to get pictures in front of the Alamo. I know the boys are way too little to understand, recognize, or appreciate the significance, but I thought it would be a neat opportunity. How often are we in San Antonio?! After we ate and it stopped raining, we decided to hike over to the Alamo. And a hike it ended up being. We didn't have a stroller since it wouldn't fit on the Riverwalk, and Andrew was tired, so we ended up carrying him most of the way. I was wearing flip flops and the streets were still wet, so it really wasn't the ideal day to get there. And we were in a hurry, so the trip seemed to take forever. And then we got there and Andrew was way more interested in the snowcone stand than the cool-looking fort behind him. We took about 20 of the above picture and called it a trip! We were literally in front of the Alamo for about 2 minutes. But at least we can say that we did it! I can look forward to taking the boys there in the future!

Needless to say, we were all exhausted after our whirlwind trip, and excited to get home. The trip was amazing and I hope to go back in the future. What amazing memories we made with our family!


1 comment:

  1. We had a wonderful time too! Loved spending that time together making memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete