Sweet Benjamin,

Happy almost-one-year Benny! I can't believe you are (less than) one month away from one! The past year and the past month have gone so fast. What a fun, amazing little guy you are! You are mobile and all over the place, and I know big things are coming in the next few weeks. Here's what you've been up to this month:
Likes: Ben, you love being mobile! You are constantly on the move and always wanting to be walking. You're cruising and crawling, and you love to show off your new tricks. You're now at that fun (read:
not so fun) age when you try to throw yourself out of our arms to get down to the ground. You've realized that there is a whole big world out there and you can take yourself there to see it! You still love people, although you are partial to people that you know - Mommy, Daddy, Andrew, and your grandparents. Oh, and Tucker - you LOVE to watch and try to grab Tucker! You LOVE bath time, and it's getting more and more difficult to bathe you - you are either trying to stand up on the side of the tub, pulling up or chewing on the shower curtain, or splashing like a little madman! Whenever we tell you it is time for bath you'll squeal and shout with excitement - you definitely know what that word means! I get you undressed on the floor of your room, and if I'm not quick enough you'll turn over and crawl towards the bathroom. I know you'll love the lake and the pool this summer!
Dislikes: As usual, you are a happy little guy, and not a whole lot displeases you. Now that you're mobile, you do get upset if we take away something you've worked hard to acquire (usually the TV remote or one of Andrew's toys). You now aren't as big of a fan of the jumper, just because you don't have the freedom to move around - that's the one safe place we have to put you! Building off of one of your "likes", you very much dislike it when we take you out of the bath!
Eating: Oh, Benjamin. If I had to some up your eating in the past month it would be with these two statements: You LOVE to eat food. You HATE to drink. This has been a joyful and a frustrating month for eating with you (and your brother, haha). One on hand, you have taken to solid food like a champ - you eat nearly everything that we eat, as long as it is not a choking hazard, and happily and without reservation eat meats, veggies, fruits, cereal, etc. Your brother has grown into the pickiest eater on the planet, so I'm very wary that you'll learn those habits. But looking at his 11 month post, he had already started refusing some veggies. We have had no problems with that - you happily eat anything we've tried! A funny story - over spring break we went to a barbecue place with my parents in Burnet. We had hoped that they would have burgers for Andrew (one of the few things that he will eat), but no such luck. So he ended up eating bread and water, while you feasted on brisket, turkey, sausage, beans, and potato salad. You LOVE to eat!
 |
| Just like brother, always wanting out! |
On the other hand, getting you to drink milk (which still should be the main source of your nutrition until 1 year), has been a huge struggle. You nurse ok, but not really well and not for a long time, especially during the day. I have the best luck feeding you during your (sometimes multiple) night wake-ups. Your intake at daycare has been dwindling, and it has been a constant source of worry for me. This week it all sort of blew up - you would take 1 or 2 ounces of milk at daycare all day or just sips. We had tried breastmilk, formula, water, even juice. We have tried bottles, sippies, straw cups, different types of sippies. Today you drank nothing all day! Daycare called and said that you were acting very lethargic and they were worried about dehydration. We took you to the doctor, and I was ready for a battle. We have been multiple times for this issue and keep hearing that you are fine and gaining weight and that we can't force you to eat. Today you had lost an ounce since last week. The doctor checked your ears (fine), and looked in your mouth and immediately said that you have thrush. You have it on your cheeks and back in your throat. Poor little guy! It's apparently been very painful for you to drink and swallow, and it feels like such a relief to know that there is a reason for this. You and I are being treated for it, and I hoping that you'll have some relief soon. I don't know that your drinking will bounce back immediately, but I'm hoping you up your intake soon! We suspect that you've had it for awhile, and I feel awful to know that you've been hurting.
Sleep: Because of your lack of drinking at school, you have been waking up about twice a night to nurse. You probably are also waking up because you're hurting. It seems like something is always disrupting your sleep. You do sleep fairly well at home, taking 2 naps a day for about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours each, and sleeping pretty late (about 8). No such luck at school! You have to be up early (about 6) and don't nap well there at all. I also think this throws off your nighttime sleep. I hoping once we get your thrush under control, your sleep will improve! As much as I love cuddling you, Mama is tired!
 |
| Nothing cuter than a baby behind! |
Skills: This has really been the month of mobility. While you started the month trying to crawl, you are now speedy and all over the place! You still seem to only want to crawl to get to a place where you can stand. You also seem to be thinking about taking steps - you are pretty brave when it comes to transferring from one thing to another while cruising. It makes me so nervous! I can't really say you're working on any other skills right now - you've been so focused on getting around! You are very vocal, and it always sounds like you're saying "yeah". You also like to shake your head back and forth, like you're saying 'no'. So conversations with you can be pretty funny - we'll ask you something and you'll either say "yeah" or shake your head. While I know you don't really mean it as yes and no, it looks pretty funny! We keep trying to get you to say Mama and Daddy and Andrew, and a few times it has sounded like you have, you won't say things on command. You and Andrew definitely have that in common!


Oh Benny, what a sweet, beautiful boy you are! Even in the midst of sickness, you are a joy to everyone around you. We are so lucky that you're ours, and we love you so much! I can't believe the next time I write your monthly post, it will be for your birthday!
We were reminded just how difficult it is to photograph a newly-mobile child. You wanted absolutely
nothing to do with sitting in that chair!
 |
| This yellow drumstick seems to be your new favorite toy! (See above pictures also!) |
 |
| How most of the pictures looked! |
 |
| Happy to be let loose! |
 |
| Benny at 11 months |
 |
| Andrew at 11 months |
No comments:
Post a Comment