Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Birthday Benny!

Sweet Benny,

Happy birthday to my precious baby boy! Where did the past year go? On one hand, it's so hard to believe it's been a year since you joined our family. On the other hand, I can't imagine our life before
you were here - has it only been a year?

What a year it's been for us, sweet boy. From the moment you came rushing into our lives that Friday evening to now, you have gone about everything with a joy and enthusiasm that is infectious. Whenever you smile your bright, beautiful smile, people can't help but notice and smile back. You are a people person - you love to engage people and it's so easy to be caught up in your sweetness! You love to give hugs and to snuggle, and I cherish every moment that I get to cuddle with you.

Watching you grow and change over the past year has been amazing. It's a little bittersweet to think that your days as my tiny baby are behind you. But I know what's ahead, and I'm so excited to see what you learn in the next year. You are on the cusp of so many exciting things, and I can't wait to experience it all with you.

I know you won't understand it completely until you are a parent, but Daddy and I are so in love with you! You have brought immeasurable joy into our family, and we are so blessed to call you ours. We love you sweet Benny Boo!

Here's what you're up to now:
Likes: You love to be mobile! You are a speedy crawler, and will often crawl towards something that catches your eye. It's usually Tucker, one of Andrew's toys, or the bathtub. Speaking of, you still LOVE the bath! As soon as dinner is over you start fussing to get out of your seat. If we don't take you straight into the bathroom you get upset and will try to get down and crawl there yourself. You love to bang on things and chew on them. You don't seem to be too interested in toys yet, although you love small things you can hold in your hand (and bang and chew on). We had your birthday party this weekend (more in another post), and you seem infinitely more interested in the plastic Easter eggs than any of the toys - ha! You still love people, but are definitely slower to open up to new and unfamiliar faces. You love the people you know, and you are all about Mama right now! If you are sad, tired, hurting, and you see me, you want to be in my arms. I can't say that I mind the snuggles!

Dislikes: Along with mobility comes the major dislike of being immobile. You hate to be held or strapped into something when you'd rather be walking. You want to be down and cruising everywhere, and you don't like it at all if we don't let you! Also now that you're mobile, you are able to get to stuff that you want. Sometimes it's just not something we want you to have, and we have to take it away. Understandably, this upsets you quite a bit! Overall, just like always, you are a pretty easygoing guy, and not much upsets you.

Eating: Well, just like every other month, you still LOVE to eat! It's such a joy to feed you, probably because it's such a battle with your brother. We haven't really found too much that you won't eat. For the most part we just feed you whatever we eat, usually with a few more veggies mixed in, haha! Some of your favorite foods are blueberries, peas, black beans, strawberries, green beans, ground turkey, cheese, and any kind of pasta (macaroni, lasagna, spaghetti - you love them all!) You still don't drink great, but I do feel like you've made some improvements. You are completely on whole milk during the day. We transitioned a little bit early since you had refused bottles so long at daycare. I still nurse you before bed, overnight (ugh... so tired), and in the morning, but you take sippies (yay, no bottles!) of whole milk during the day with meals, and at daycare. You still don't drink the amount I would like you to be drinking. I think you just aren't one to start a drink and finish it - you're a sipper. At home you probably drink more because we can constantly offer it, but at school I know they have too many kids to just offer your sippy all the time.

Sleeping: Well, unfortunately (fortunately?) nothing has changed too much here. I don't know if you've just gotten in the habit, or if you're truly hungry, but you still wake up about once a night, and I nurse you at that time. It's usually early morning (last night was 3:30), and sometimes it isn't until after I have to wake up for school. I like that because I get a "full night's sleep" for a school night. This weekend everything was thrown off with the excitement of your birthday and Easter, so you were not napping and waking up very early - yikes! Usually you take 2 pretty good (1 1/2 to 2 hour) naps, in the morning and the afternoon. Also you usually sleep until 7:30-8:30 in the morning. Although I would LOVE to sleep through the night, I'm trying to see the positives in our middle of the night cuddles. I can't say for certain that you're not hungry, so I feel the need to feed you just in case. I know that someday you'll sleep through the night, and these days will all be a (slightly hazy) memory!

Skills: You've become more confident with your cruising this month, and you will often cruise just holding on with one hand. Last week you even took a few steps unassisted. You'd rather not, but I'm thinking you'll try more and more as you gain more confidence. Unfortunately you don't lack any confidence in the climbing department. We noticed that you will try to hike your leg up over the edge of the bathtub or up onto toys. This weekend Daddy was watching you and you headed for the stairway (the gate was open). You started climbing and he followed you - you climbed all the way upstairs, quickly and confidently, like you had done it a million times! Tonight we had out the step stool since Andrew likes to use it to "help" with dinner. He walked away. You quickly made your move - you climbed up the step stool like a pro! We were shocked! But you kept doing it - we'd take you to another room and you crawl/cruise your way back to the kitchen and climb right back up! Uh oh!

Benny, you are such a beautiful boy! I know that I'm not supposed to say that about boys, but I don't care - you are precious and sweet and beautiful, and I love this age! I can't wait to see everything you learn and to watch you grow over the next year!

Ever since you started getting your light blond hair and bright blue eyes, people have been talking about how different you look from Andrew. People also look at Daddy and I and comment about where we got this light-headed boy... well, here's the answer. On the top is a picture of you, and the bottom is a picture of Daddy at about the same age! You two are almost twins!


Your monthly pictures sure were an adventure this year! While they are still super cute, I can't say that I'll miss wrangling you into the chair for the pictures. You were bound and determined to take a header off of the chair! (Hence the reason my hand is in 90% of the pictures!)


Ah, there I am!



Giving Mama the side-eye!




He's escaping!


Mommy is sooooo mean!

Literally 3 seconds after the above picture


Whoa! Happy Birthday Sweet Benjamin!




No comments:

Post a Comment