Sunday, May 19, 2013

Welcome to the world, Ben.

Meet the newest addition to the Riley Family. Benjamin Patrick Riley was born on Friday, April 19, 2013. Like his brother, he wasn't content to wait around until his due date. He didn't want to be a May baby, so he came almost 3 weeks early.

Being pregnant with a toddler was a whole different ballgame than being pregnant the first time. I was exhausted all the time. Coupled with the fact that it was a difficult year at school and I was wiped out at the end of every day. I had a feeling that he would be early, but I kept wondering if that was just wishful thinking on my part. I had joked with some people that Ben couldn't be born on the 19th. It was a Friday and two of the teachers on my team were going to be absent. If I were gone that would leave three substitutes and only 1 teacher. The night before I had him I was in a great mood - I was telling Jonathan and Karen how excited I was about the upcoming weekend. I had so many plans and so many goals that I wanted us to accomplish before Ben got here. I kept saying how great I felt. They both laughed and joked that it was the calm before the storm and that I would probably have him the next day. I went to school the next day and felt ok in the morning. As the day went on, I felt more and more uncomfortable. I spent my lunch googling "labor signs" on my phone. As uncomfortable as I felt, I think I kept doubting that it was the real thing. I stayed at school the whole day, and even did recess and car duty. I kept having to take a break when I was putting kids in the car because of contractions. In hindsight, I should have probably listened to my body and left a lot earlier, haha! After school I stopped in the office to ask them a question and I told them that I didn't think I would make it to Monday. How right I was! I went back to my classroom and started doing normal, end-of-week tasks. I had my contraction monitor on my phone going, but the contractions didn't seem particularly consistent.  I started to get really uncomfortable and decided I'd better get home. I picked Andrew up, which again in hindsight, wasn't the best idea. When I got home I told Ray and Karen that I would probably head into the hospital when Jonathan got home. They made plans to take Andrew to dinner and waited for Jonathan to get home. Jonathan got home and spent some time playing with our new camera that had just arrived (he had told me earlier that I couldn't have Ben until the camera came in). Finally I told Jonathan that I think he needed to hurry. I called the hospital and I remember getting really emotional when they told me to come in. The nurse said that today could be his birthday, and for some reason that really made me tear up. I was excited and anxious at the same time. Ray and Karen took Andrew to Chick-fil-a to pick up dinner for Jonathan while we finished packing up the bag and getting ready to go. They drop the food off as Jonathan and I get into the car to go. On the way to the hospital I was really uncomfortable, but I kept telling Jonathan to slow down. Haha! I was wanting to get to the hospital but the speed was making me nervous.

When we got to the hospital Jonathan pulled up to the door. He asked me if he wanted me to go park the car or walk in with me. I wanted him to come with me. He then offered to get a wheelchair for me, which I refused. I remember thinking that I didn't want anyone to think I was a wimp. That seems so silly now, but I kept worrying that it wasn't the real thing and that people would think that I couldn't handle pain. So I walked! We got up to labor and delivery and they took me to a triage room. I remember looking at the clock and seeing that it was 7:00. I wanted to have some idea of when we got there. Jonathan went down to move the car and I got all changed into the hospital gown. When Jonathan came back she checked me to see if I had made any progress. I'll never forget the moment when her faced changed and she said that I was 9 centimeters. I think Jonathan and I both started balling and freaking out! She said that they would move me to a delivery room and asked if I wanted an epidural. I asked if there was time and she said there might be. They decided to move me to the delivery room on the bed and everything was sort of a blur for the next few minutes. Anyone who's given birth knows about the rush of people and activity that happens right before the baby comes, and that was all happening right away. Jonathan was calling his parents and my parents and texting people telling them that we were having the baby right now. I was freaking out and telling the nurses that I didn't think I could do it! Luckily the nurses calmed me down and Jonathan came over so I could squeeze the life out of hold onto his arm. And I didn't have too long to worry and freak out, because about 20 minutes after we arrived, Ben was here. He was born at 7:20 on Friday evening. He weighed 7 pounds and 4 ounces and was 20 inches long. We've all decided that he looks exactly like his big brother!

It was a whirlwind, and I think I was in shock for a little while after that he was actually here! Jonathan had to call family and tell them to head to the hospital because he was already here! So far (I'm writing this a month later... haha) all seems well. He seems very chill, although I keep waiting for the fussiness to start! He fits great into our family, and we feel more complete (although we are still getting the hang of going places with 2 kids). I will update more with a 1 month post, but for now here are some pictures from Ben's first few days. (Tons of pictures ahead!)
Meeting Gran Gran

Meeting Grandpa Ray

Sweet Ben

Andrew was so excited! I will never forget the moment when he met Ben. While he was here a nurse walked in, and he pointed at Ben and said "that's my little brother!"

Mommy cuddles!

Meeting Gabby and Papaw

Gabby loves her grandboys!

Tiny feet! We have a similar picture of Andrew's tiny feet!

Mom and Dad and Ben

His first non-family visitor! Thanks for keeping us company, Jenifer!

Adorable angry face!

Papaw and Ben


Mommy and Ben

Brothers and Gabby

Mr. Cheesy Face

My boys!

Our Family!

1 comment:

  1. I love your birth story, so inspiring!!!!! I teared up when I saw the pic of you hugging and kissing Andrew, your first born!!!!! Love your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete