Monday, May 5, 2014

Four!

Andrew Lucas,

Wow! Where do I even begin? Where have the past four years gone?! Time needs to slow it down a little bit! Oh, Andrew - you are amazing. Every day we marvel at the things you say and do. Over the past year, you have morphed from a toddler into a funny, smart, creative, and curious preschooler. You've become someone who can be a great helper and good company! If I have to go to school on a weekend (ugh!), I don't mind taking you with me - you love when I give you tasks to do around the room, and you're pretty easily entertained by the "toys", art supplies, and many books. You're also pretty good company at the grocery store - I love having someone to talk to, and you're very good at reminding me to buy things (especially if it's for something you like - chicken pie!). I can't wait to have more time to spend with you this summer!

Andrew, you are so smart! We are completely and totally biased, but we think you're brilliant, and we tell you often. (I'm sorry to his future teachers!) You still LOVE to read. When we were opening your birthday gifts from family, we would have to stop and read the books first before we went on. Gabby and Papaw gave you some awesome books, and you refused to open the bigger, more exciting present that they brought until we had read the books. Even after opening the toy presents, you would go back to the books and ask us to read them to you. Your love of reading makes my heart swell with pride! We have books all over the house, and you are always taking them out and reading and leaving them (literally) all over the place! There's usually two or three in your bed and stack next to the bed. Sometimes you'll read with your lantern or flashlight in bed after we turn out the lights. We've had to go in at night and turn off your flashlight and remove the books from your sleeping space! You aren't reading yet, but you've become very curious about sounds and letters, and you ask us frequently to point to the words as we say them, or read environmental text to you. We don't do anything to work on reading, other than just reading all the time, and I hope that it can stay that way for awhile. I just want you to continue to love reading like you do!

One thing that has definitely come from the reading is a high vocabulary. I don't know what kind of student you'll be, but I know that you'll probably be well-spoken. In my class each week we introduce "amazing words" - the students aren't tested on these words, but the purpose is just to expose them to higher level vocabulary that they might see in reading and future testing. Many times they are words that you say/have said, or words that we have talked about with you. It always amazes me when you start using words that I had no idea you knew!

One thing that we have definitely noticed about you this past year is that you have a very strong sense of justice and rules. You appreciate boundaries, and you often check to make sure that the rules and expectations haven't changed, especially when others aren't following the rules. This certainly doesn't mean that you always follow the rules, but you are very aware of them. You frequently tell me about classmates at school that aren't making good choices, and unfortunately you're quick to point out to parents and caregivers when their children aren't following rules. You like to tell me that you're in charge! Haha! Sometimes it's fascinating to me to see when you're mulling something over in your head, trying to understand why someone is acting in a certain way. Your sense of justice right now is so black and white, and it's so difficult to explain things to you in a world that is not so concrete. One example is that you've never gotten into superheroes like other kids your age. Many of the kids at your school are into Batman, Superman, and the Ninja (Engine) Turtles. For the longest time you would say that they are bad guys. After prying more information from you, we found out that you think they are bad because they have weapons and hit people. It was hard to argue with that logic - unfortunately the world isn't nearly as simple as that understanding.

Which brings me to another thing about you - you're innocent. It's such a difficult job as a parent to let go! When I compare you to the other students I see at your school, you're definitely more innocent and sheltered. You are still easily scared during movies and shows. You definitely still are interested in things that other kids might consider "babyish". Part of me wants to keep you this sweet, innocent child that isn't exposed to violence, meanness, and hurt. But I know that one day you will have to face the world, and I want you to be prepared for that. I think the hardest part is watching how you react when others are mean to you. You're a pretty friendly, outgoing kid, and you sometimes get your feelings hurt when others don't react in the way you expect. I want you to have the tools to deal with hurt and rejection, but I also sometimes want to scoop you up and keep you safe and happy with me! Even though you tend to scare easily, you are tough in many ways. We had your four year appointment today and you had to get four shots. We talked about it ahead of time - you asked if it would hurt and I told you that it would for a little bit, but that it would be over quickly. When the time came, you quickly hopped up to the table, gripped my hands, grimaced through the shots, and recovered quickly. You didn't cry or complain! I was so proud of how brave you were!

Lest I read this post in a few years and forget, we still have our difficult days! You are very headstrong and stubborn (you get that from Daddy! No, I'm pretty sure that's from your Mommy. -Dad). You know the way that you want things done, and you don't want to compromise on certain things. Sometimes you can be defiant - we'll ask you to do something, and you'll say "no!" or "never!". Fun. But we can usually find a reason for your behavior - you're definitely more difficult when you're tired or getting sick. And luckily your difficult days seem to be getting fewer and fewer as you get older. You are also getting easier to reason with as you get older. The one battle we seem to be constantly fighting is about food. You are probably the pickiest eater on the planet! I feel like I can count on my two hands the foods you eat consistently. We have instigated a dinner rule that you eat what we eat or you don't eat, and more often than not you just don't eat. You don't like to try things that are new or different, and we can't always count on you to eat things that are familiar, like tacos and spaghetti. You eat NO vegetables without force (and you gagging), and I feel like your diet is not very well balanced. I know that we aren't always the best food role models, but your diet makes me want to be better!

You still love firetrucks, the color red, Octonauts, Jake and the Neverland pirates, reading, cars and vehicles, swinging, being outside, cheeseburgers, fruit, and making new friends. Lately you've also seemed really interested in Legos and building, writing and drawing, and Sheriff Callie's Wild West (tv show).

Andrew, there's so many other things I could say about you. It's hard to put into words what you mean to Daddy and I. We are amazed that God chose us to be parents to such an awesome little boy! Daycare told us that your superhero name is Abundant Andrew, and it couldn't be more fitting. We are abundantly blessed by your love, creativity, intelligence, humor, and curiosity. I love the age you're at - you're fun and learning new things every day. Happy birthday to our precious boy!

We have so few recent pictures of you, because you just hate taking pictures. I've just included some of my favorites from the last four years!



Your favorite restaurant - Mighty Fine, which you call the "star place". This picture is from the day after your third birthday. This year we went there for your birthday dinner with Gran Gran and Grandpa Ray and Gabby and Papaw.





A very rare nap time that resulted in an actual nap!






Abundant Andrew!









No comments:

Post a Comment