Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Things Andrew Says, Vol. 3 (The PG-13 Edition)

As with most toddlers, Andrew can't quite always get the right sounds when he is trying to say new words. Most of the time this is pretty harmless, and I have gotten pretty adept at understanding his Andrew-ese. However there are times when the Andrew versions are a little bit inappropriate, as shown with the examples below....

  • We've been trying to work on saying what Daddy's job is - we started with an easy (so we thought) word for it - cop. We'll say "what's daddy's job?" and Andrew will respond with "cop".... or so we hoped. Andrew can't quite get the 'p' sound at the end, and instead will substitute a 'k' sound. So the conversation actually sounds like this Us: What's Daddy's job? A: Cock. Now he'll also say it whenever he sees a badge or a police uniform. I laugh when I think of what would happen if we got pulled over. I hope the "cock" would also see the humor in it!
  • Andrew has said 'apple' for awhile now - he recognizes the fruit, the image of the fruit on electronic devices, and uses it to refer to applesauce and apple juice. Lately he's been pronouncing the apple with an s instead of the p... so it sounds like "asslesauce", which Jonathan and I think sounds like a**hole sauce, which of course makes us giggle every time!
I guess I should be thanking my lucky stars that he hasn't yet tried to say any real bad words. It's not like he hasn't heard some. We must be doing a great job of not using any bad words around him!

On a totally different note, today I took Andrew on an outing! He woke up before 7, and we had no playdates or semi-necessary trips to Target on the daily agenda. The day stretched out before us, and the hours before nap time seemed daunting. So I got us both dressed and packed up some water and snacks ("snat" to Andrew) and off we went to the Austin Nature and Science Center. What a great outing, even for a toddler! He enjoyed the animals ("amamals") and loved digging in the sand at the Dino Pit. It was a lot of walking for him and killed about 2 hours, not including driving time. Best of all, it was free (although they do take donations) and it has a good amount of shade so that it didn't feel like 187 degrees. It was a really fun trip and I had a great time with my fun little guy! I didn't take a ton of pics, but I took some phone pics in the Dino Pit and played around with them on a new app on my iPhone. Although it doesn't look like it in the pictures I promise he was having fun - he tends to get all serious-looking when he is people-watching!


No comments:

Post a Comment